Married in Islam - part 1/2

11/11/2014

For some time we have been discussing about marrying in his religion to make it Halal in front of Allah. Something simple, with no family and no friends – with not even papers! - only for us to make official our intention of having a long life together –inshallah!


His new boss and colleague are muslims, from Pakistan. They have been trying to pull him to go back to praying and get closer to his religion, something that he has actually been wanting to do. Of course they got over excited with the idea of him getting married in Islam, so they started arranging everything. It was stipulated to happen this week, preferably on Monday. So it happened – today!

Around 12:30pm Habibi went to meet them at his work place, he was off but they were not. I stayed home trying to get a proper outfit for the occasion. No white dress, just a leopard printed dress above the knees and a long black skirt. The second one has to do the job. No proper long shirt either, but found a fluffy white winter shirt which actually didn’t look bad.

The hard part? Covering my hair and neck with the black scarf - because you are supposed to be covered whenever you go inside a mosque. The scarf: easy to put on but difficult to get used to. I couldn’t recognise myself to be honest, but I got in mind the purpose of it and after a while everything looked fine for me.

Around 1pm he came home and took me to the mosque – that we are lucky to have just 2 doors away from us. We were both super nervous but happy.
We separated in the entrance, I took my way to the women’s praying hall, and he went to meet them in the men’s side. I took off my shoes and quietly waited in the corner, observing that huge and empty but beautifully decorated saloon.
The Imam - the leader in the mosque - came to call me. I followed him and I found Habibi’s boss, who closed the shop for a moment to attend to our wedding. He showed me the rest of the Mosque and kindly explained me the basics of the religion.
Didn’t ask me anything about converting to Islam though. Habibi strongly expressed he didn’t want anybody to push me.

No comments in this post

Post a Comment